Monday, September 7, 2009

Glorified Peons??!! The challenge is tough…


Every account manager has come across this phrase at some point or the other. There are times it feels really thankless but you got to work towards making the difference I believe, and that’s what differentiates you and prevents you from being called a glorified peon.

Unlike a person in the creative department whose nature of work naturally gives his image an edge, the profile of account managers especially at junior levels is such that people automatically tend to refer to you as peons, unless you add that big extra bit to your work.
So, it’s the profile not me…(That makes me feel better).

I hate it most when people refer to Account Management as Servicing. It makes me feel like an A.C. servicing guy who visits us to find out if all’s working fine.

Question is how do you add that extra bit to all accounts? Not all clients are interested in proactive presentations which have often been referred to as gyan. End of the day a client is happy with more and more and more options of layouts. There are times they don’t even want the explanation with the creatives we present. Although they have a strong logic there, that they don’t present explanations and rationales to our consumers when they view an ad.

So what more? When I come across ads or news articles of competition then at best I scan them and pass it on to my senior. I am often confused does the client appreciate receiving a scanned copy of what competition is up to. Wouldn’t he think I know my category the best and I do keep a track of what’s happening… Confusion again!

I always wonder why aren’t there awards for the best account manager of the year, award for the most patient account manager of the year, award for the most organized account manager of the year and the like…Or do they exist?

No comments: